ALL ABOUT HE'EIA
April/May 2016 –
1. Covered Playcourt – A final inspection has been completed and the contractor is completing the repairs on the punch list. There has been several break-ins which will result in a delay in turning the building over to the school because the bell system and the control panel for the score board were taken. We are waiting for the final approval to install the heavy duty security locks on all of the gates and the chain link fabric fasteners will be reversed to prevent removal. We are not sure when the building will be available for use by our students.
2. Ceiling Fans – The DOE has put out to bid costs for putting ceiling fans in every classroom and office on campus. The contractor should be selected by June 2016 with the project to be completed by January 2017. All classrooms will get four fans and the classrooms in D building will get six fans each. Offices will get one fan each.
3. Reroofing of B Building - The DOE has put out to bid the resurfacing of B building roof. A contractor should be selected by the end of June. We are not sure of the time-line for the completion of this project.
February 2016 –
The covered playcourt is nearing completion. We are waiting for the covering between the sidewalk and the restrooms to be installed. The baskets are in and the surface has been installed.
January 2016 –
1. Fire Alarm System inspection – The Fire Alarm System was inspected on December 28. Several pull stations are in need of repair, which is being scheduled through a private contractor.
2. Covered Playcourt – the bathrooms are in the process of being tiled and fixtures installed. The basketball nets are in place and a new score board is up on the wall. The electrical room is near completion. Yet to be completed is the final coating of the court surface. We are waiting on word if the covering between the sidewalk and the bathrooms will be approved, then built. Landscaping needs to be completed with grassing the dirt areas around the playcourt.
3. B & C Buildings had the rain gutters and down spouts replaced over the winter break.
4. Still waiting for the water bottle filling station to be installed. It is delayed because this requires a plumber and is not a high priority.
5. The custodians deep cleaned the cafeteria and waxed the floor over the winter break. Thank you custodians !
6. Once the ground has dried out, we will be able to schedule getting the tall grass in the back of the school. The ground is to soft for the heavy duty mower at this time.
December 2015 –
1. Our new digital marquee is mounted to the wall above the cafeteria walkway. Both electrical and the internet connections has been completed. We are waiting for the district IT specialist to complete the programming, then our
sign will be functional.
2. The outdoor basketball court was resurfaced last summer.
3. The cafeteria has had the roof resurfaced (with a silicon coating that has a 50 year warranty), dry rotted wood repaired, and ceiling fans installed (for heat abatement).
4. We are in the process of soliciting bids for the replacement of the B & C Building gutters.
5. The covered playcourt is in the final phases of construction. Construction is scheduled to be completed by the end of December and then the landscaping will be done which includes re-grassing the area around the playcourt. The landscaping is scheduled to be completed by Feb 9, 2016.
6. We passed our annual Fire Inspection on November 24, 2015. We had a HIOSH inspection in September, and an Asbestos Plan Review on Dec 4.
7. In the works – a water Bottle Filling Station in D Building, a Fire Access Lane at the end of E Building, enclosing the stairwells of B & C Buildings, multiple ceiling fans in every classroom.
8. FYI – An assisted living complex will be built in the existing parking lot at the corner of Haiku Rd. and Alaloa Str. Construction of the 4 story building complex could begin next summer.
9. On going – we are constantly repairing our chain link fence along the side and back of the school property from those persons who cut the fence to traverse across the campus to get to the community park or those who set up living areas by the stream. We are working with HPD on this and monitoring for trespassers during the day.